TARGET e. V. is looking for its project in Ethiopia for a MD/Gynecologist (m / w / d)
TARGET e. V. Ruediger Nehberg is looking for a medical doctor in the field of gynecology and obstetrics for coordination and patient care at our obstetrics clinic in northern Ethiopia.
TARGET's project in Afar region Zone 2 in northern Ethiopia is focusing on two objectives: building a solid GYN/OBS clinic with OR, and counteract FGM. In Afar, 91.6 per cent are mutilated, with the majority having undergone Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Type II and III. This poses great risks for girls and women, in particular during labor. In cooperation with the German Professional Association of Gynecologists (Berufsverband der Frauenärzte e.V.- BVF), the TARGET Higher Obstetrics Speciality Clinic opened its doors in June 2015 and tries to address the medical problems of genitally mutilated girls and women in Afar region (FGM II and III) as well as emergency obstetrics, which is especially acute in remote regions such as Afar where access to health care and prenatal examinations is "too far", where more than half of the population live below the poverty line and cannot afford access to healthcare and in addition, where existing heath posts and health centers are often under-staffed and under-funded, thus providing poor service and no option to assist laboring women in emergencies.
With the help of the German BVF, the clinic is equipped and designed according to European standards. In addition to gynecological and obstetrics care, emergency procedures such as caesarean sections and minor obstetric and gynecological surgeries incl. defibulation of FGM III are also possible. Currently we have about 30 births and an average of 2 cesarean sections a month, with these figures set to increase in future.
The clinic is operated through a national team of anesthesiologists, nurse-midwives, pharmacist, laboratory assistant, as well as a German technician and a German-Ethiopian project coordinator. Monthly visits of European volunteer gynecologists, midwives, nurses and anesthesiologists are furthermore closing the countrywide gap of qualified medical staff in OBS/GYN. TARGET has already established a strong presence in the region for more than a decade, working closely with Islamic and Clan representatives in the region. TARGET intervenes without any affiliation to politics, religion or financial profit.
Overall patient care and active participation in clinic management in support of the Clinic Committee and German TARGET German Management Board.
- Patient care, in particular OR and ER patients as well as support in GYN/OBS patient care when requested by local staff
- Participate actively in monitoring and reporting of medical activities
- Supervise clinic-based medical staff together with and incl. of nursing director (national staff and international volunteers of 10-20 people)
- Manage (day to day activities, working hours, presence planning etc.) and evaluate staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance (in cooperation with nursing director and Clinic Committee)
- Actively take part in the work of the Clinic Committee as Medical Coordinator, to progress and shape the clinic's operation, esp. in regards to FGM
- Mentor, coach and supervisor national medical staff of the clinic in cooperation with incoming international medical volunteers, this includes on-the-job trainings
- Support German Management Board in sensitization activities for the population, e.g. on FGM
- Ensure that apart from patient care also cross-cutting theme 'FGM' is fully integrated by training, monitoring and supervising clinic staff in screening, counseling and treatment of FGM patients (incl. adapting/creating training material and FGM awareness based on TARGET and WHO guidelines) as well as participating in meetings with regional stakeholders
- Assist the German Management Board in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training for all medical staff and international volunteers as appropriate
- Medical Doctor with specialization in OBS/GYN or sound work experience in an Operation Room setting (e.g. CS and related emergency OBS operations), preferably with European or Swiss license;
- At least two years of work experience;
- Ability to command authority and respect through assertiveness, through a sense of diplomacy and sensitivity to cultural differences as well as ability to prioritize and take initiative;
- Willingness to assume responsibility for medical decisions as the leading doctor of the clinic, incl. clinic-licensee of the clinic in Ethiopia;
- Experience in administration and management or team leadership is an advantage
- Travel or work experience in a developing country is an advantage
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English is necessary; knowledge of German and/or Arabic or any Ethiopian language is beneficial
- Knowledge of tropical medicine is an asset
You can expect a varied, challenging job in a committed team, and performance-focused payment in the range of a gross salary of EUR 2500 to EUR 5500 gross. Furthermore, TARGET provides 25 days annual leave, free board and lodging on the clinic compound, transportation, health and accident insurance, work-related liability insurance and twice per year return flights. Though this position is initially limited to twelve months, there is a strong prospect of extension as we are looking for a longterm team member!
You want to work with us against the cruel practice of female genital mutilation? Send your application incl. CV with references, a motivation letter with the earliest job entry date and a summary of your surgical experience in obstetrics and gynecology to
bewerbung (at) target-nehberg.de
Kindly use 'TARGET GYN/OBS Ethiopia' as reference for your email. Application deadline is 31 March 2019.
While we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. As this is a rolling application, we reserve the right to hold interviews prior to the application deadline.
The TARGET Team is looking forward to your compelling application!